It is Ekka week (Brisbane Exhibition) and I am craving the famous Ekka Strawberry Sundae. I heard on 96.5fm earlier this week that Ness made strawberry icecream cupcakes. That inspired me to try it out at home.
I adapted the recipe from Woman’s Weekly Raspberry Swirl Cake.
125 grams of butter
½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
150 grams of castor sugar
185 grams of self-raising flour
80 ml milk
2 tablespoons of strawberry jam
1 teaspoon of poppy seeds
A drop of pink food colouring
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C
2. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy
3. Add in 1 egg at a time and continue beating
4. Stir in sifted flour and milk in batches and continue mixing
5. Add strawberry jam, poppy seeds and pink food colouring and continue mixing until the colour is even
6. Pour the batter to the icecream cone to 2/3 full. I noticed that it will overflow if you pour it too full. The batter on the front right was too full and overflowed.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cake is cooked
I was initially sceptical about using an icecream cone to hold the batter, but it turned out very well.
I was going to cover the top with white chocolate ganache or buttercream, but didn’t have the ingredients to do so. So, my healthier option is to top it with a strawberry. Enjoy!